Tuesday, February 9, 2010

hookers and rockers

Second day of workshop. Apprehension mixed with anticipation. Lurking fear of my writing sample being mocked at. Yet, the prospect of learning more keeps me riveted. I verbally summarize my writing sample, culled from a short story I've been working on. Feedback time. Manage to acquit myself; structure is pronounced, description quite vivid, definitely readable. Am quite glad to break for lunch on a high. I celebrate this with a guava, laced with black salt.

An interesting exercise happens post-lunch. Exasperated with some of the participants' obsession with planting prostitutes as characters in their writing projects, we are asked to script a dialogue between a brothel madam and a prospect, in the form of an interview. The results are less hilarious than you'd think. We are, as a consequence, told to steer clear of hookers and focus on less exciting characters in the future! I promptly make a note.

The workshop ends with a general feeling of hope. Everybody feels better equipped in their quest to swing the next Booker. We are all grateful to Anita, Manisha and Annie for their patience.They have dispensed some valuable tips, and have refrained from tearing their hair out at our ham-handed effort. My head feels lighter after being relieved of sundry misconceptions.

Meanwhile, the atmosphere outside at the Amphitheater was electric with 'Full Moon Rising' belting out some soul stirring stuff. The city's swish set was out there in full force, strutting their stuff. I love the way young girls in Bombay experiment with their sartorial style: gay abandon is what comes to my mind. Lets be grateful that this is probably the only city left in India where people can express themselves, and not have to look back over their shoulders for menacing middle aged baldies turning various shades of saffron.

Watched 'I always wanted to be a gangster', part of the film fest at KG. Think the French take their effort at self-indulgence a little too seriously. There is only so much latitude you're going to get if you let your plot go nowhere, even if you're French.

No comments:

Post a Comment