Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Chow time!

Lunch was authentic Malvani fare. Hotel Annapurna is a well kept place and casts an inviting look to roving souls rendered ravenous by their trek along the shore. Fried sea fish has been a revelation to me in this state; The sharp, salty tang beat the crap out of freshwater fare which Bengalis are used to. (This is strictly a personal opinion though). I'm quite taken by how a request for fiery fare always signals the arrival of 'Kolhapuri this' or 'Kolhapuri that'. I've not read widely upon the subject but the fact that Kolhapur is a culturally vibrant centre known for Marathi cinema and cuisine does surface in my memory. In my nearly two years in the region (even though my forays beyond the cosmopolitanism of Mumbai have been scarce), I have come to appreciate Marathi culture as vibrant and colorful. Its not understated and the buoyancy is unmistakable. This may have something to do with its large coastline. Resembling the tagline of a popular brand of alcoholic beverage, the sun does get into the spirit!

Having tucked into the liberally spiced and almost threateningly reddened mutton Kolhapuri and munched through a fried Surmai, I could find very little wrong with this world. The bright sunshine and the sea breeze had already given me a thorough working over; it needed little persuasion after the night long bus trip as it is. Having lulled myself into believing that I've discovered the place and would return triumphantly, I trudged back to the lodge...and let my delusional mind drift away...

3 comments:

  1. hotel annapurna? KT mandated with fellow fish lovers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. recommended only for the fish...if you're determined then dare to make the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. IS this close to campus? maybe we can drop in for dinner someday....

    ReplyDelete