Monday, March 23, 2015

The great Indian card trick

I am at my desk, hard at work or at least pretending to be. The cellphone comes alive with its infernal trilling. The caller claims to represent the bank who thought I was solvent enough to receive a credit card. It’s a male voice with a sloppy accent fumbling with my name. The image in my head of a cute telecaller seated in a sterile bank cubicle goes poof in a cloud of smoke. The caller stumbles through the pleasantries, mutilates my name and announces that he bears glad tidings. The bank wants to reward my ‘loyalty’ with some ‘exciting’ gift. Of course, before that, there is this minor formality which requires me to confirm sensitive personal financial information over the phone to this complete stranger who sounds funny to boot. Just at the point where I am coaxed to reveal the CVV number on ‘the backside of the card’, I start digressing and distracting this fine young man from his important business. My gratitude gushes out as I become chatty and ask him if I can come see him personally. Put a face to a name and to enthusiastically pump his hand in a heartfelt handshake dripping with appreciation.


By this time the caller is impatient and itching to dump the receiver and send his index finger probing inside his nostril. After that he has people to call and joy to spread. At some point, when my pointless but polite badgering gets to the caller’s nerve, he spits out some expletives in Punjabi containing unflattering references to my mother-sister and disconnects the call. I gape at my phone; having lost the chance to discover what ‘surprise’ would I have been at the receiving end of. In the meanwhile, somewhere else, another lucky customer must doubtlessly be on his way to having his fortune made.

No comments:

Post a Comment